Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Just Don't Quit

"Achievement seems to be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit."  -Conrad Hilton

“Fall seven times, stand up eight.” ~ Japanese Proverb

I'm in a weird place today, but it was time for a new post so, here I am.   I don't feel like I am in a position to give advice to anyone this morning, so I'm reminding myself of some advice I have taken in the past and by blogging about it, I'm sharing it with you.  Here it is - are you ready?  Just don't quit.

Every one of us has days like this, days when what was possible yesterday seems out of reach today.  We mess up, we make mistakes, we fail utterly.  So?  After such days, it would be easy to just throw in the proverbial towel and forget about all the promises we've made to ourselves about how things will be different, how we won't give up no matter what, how this time will be the time we achieve what we set out to accomplish.  But with long-term goals like losing a lot of weight, or living a healthier lifestyle, the truth is that every day is a starting point.  Maybe you feel, like I do today, that there are 10 times in a day when you have to start over.  That can be daunting and frustrating, but it's also an opportunity.  Just as one successful day of eating right and getting lots of exercise won't translate into losing 100 pounds, neither does one day of eating too much or skipping your workout mean that you've blown all the hard work you've done in the past.  All you have to do is succeed more times than you fail.  All you have to do is stand up one more time than you fall, and you win.

The only time you lose, is when you quit.

Well, I don't know about you, but I've worked WAY too hard to quit now.  So I'm going to stand up, and if I fall again, I'm going to stand up again.  I might cross the finish line last, but damn it, I'm going to cross that line.  Are you in?

Now go out and make it a great day, but if that's not possible, get through today and hope that tomorrow will be a better one.  Because that is always possible and that is what is great about life.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know, I made it through yesterday, and today is looking like it's going to be a great one :)

    ReplyDelete